Monday, September 16, 2013

Slow Start To Written Narration

Last week I talked to my son, ninth grade, about written narration. I handed him a new notebook and told him that I felt it would be a benefit for him to begin keeping a narration notebook for history. He has never been a big fan of writing, typing, yes, oral narration, talk your ear off.

Instead of diving into a written narration on his current history readers or read-alouds, I asked if he would prefer to start with his reader of choice, The Mysteries Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. He loves history and very interested in the books that are being read but is engrossed in The Mysteries Benedict Society. For a non-lover of writing, I thought there would be more encouragement to write from this book.

I actually received no baulking. I honestly thought I might. He is not a big complainer but he does have his moments...like we all do. He did question what he should talk about. He started the book only a week ago, and at the time of me asking him to write the narration, had the book almost finished. I told him that he could write about one of his favorite moments or a part of the book that got him thinking harder. I told him that the notebook was his to enjoy and that he could add pictures, poems, etc...to make it his own.

He went off to complete is independent work, including this written narration. When I checked in on him an hour or so later he was completing all his work...except the written narration. I remained positive and voiced how I was looking forward to reading what he wrote.

A half-an-hour later I found him reading. He told him he had completed his written narration. I opened up the first page to see a 3 to 4 sentence paragraph. Oh, boy! Now I will give him that it was a well thought out, well written paragraph, but he could have done so much more.

I waited until later in the day when he gave me an oral narration and then explained I want to see that kind of details and length in his written narrations. I explained that I knew he did not enjoy writing and that it might take time to feel comfortable.

Fast forward to today. I am going to ask him to do another written narration tomorrow, on one of his history readers or read-alouds. Depending on how smoothly that goes, I will ask him to do another later in the week. I want him writing in his history narration notebook at least a few times per week...eventually. This is where I need to practice patients. It will happen, he just needs extra time and reassurance.




No comments:

Post a Comment