Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Much Improved Written Narration

We are currently reading two history read-alouds, America First and Streams of History: The United States. I explained, before I started reading, that he was going to do another written narration today. I explained again what I was looking for with a written narration. I told him he could choose from which book he would narrate from. He chose America First, we read the chapter on Sir Walter Raleigh.

I left him to his independent work. When lunch was nearing I went and checked on things. He is really enjoying things this year. He has been usually getting most of his work complete before lunch. Today was no different. He had two things left to do...yep, one was his written narration (the other, drawing an outline of Africa for geography). I am learning to zip my mouth. 

I am glad I kept my mouth zipped. Right after we finished lunch he got busy right away and ended up with a much improved written narration. It will take time for it to feel more natural for him (oral narration is very natural for him) but I am surprised how much of an improvement this one was.  

Thursday or Friday I will be asking for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment